Thursday, September 5, 2024

5 Years In The Making

 Before we start.

Please watch my movie, The Pez Outlaw on Netflix & Amazon Prime.


I have been waiting at least 5yrs to do these 2 builds.

It has taken all that time to aquire the materials to do this.
Bought the poles a couple years ago. The final pieces to the puzzle was the reclaimed lumber from the old round pen.
So a little rain & mudd is not gonna stop me.
People keep asking, Are You Gonna Cement Those Poles?
Nope, Can't afford it. Also, you may not have noticed but those 10ft poles are 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 inch pole Heavily Wolmenized.
The poles you buy at the lumber stores are treated 1/10 of what these are. I'm using 8 of them per building. They are milled square at the bottoms & planted on a sandy base.

The last component was when Mom said go ahead & tear down the round pen, before it falls Down.

I will use the salvaged 2x8s for the horse Kick Wall.

A Kck Wall is the lower section of a horse shelter or building that insures if a horse kicks it that as with tin they don't cut there legs up.

1st picture is where Hawk & Gabes Leantoo will go.
We are 2 days into Salvage operation.
28 of 7 1/2ft 2x8s so far.
God Bless Sawsalls.



Location of New Build.


Phase 1.




At the end of Day 2 of Build.
That was a very long day.





End of day 3.
Got the last 3 poles set.
Another very long day. 8 pm finnish.
Lucky Me, I get to do it all again on the second building.





End of Day 6 photos.
All salvage wood for internal & external Kick walls are done.





Progress on Horse Siesta Shacks.
Some more rafters & perlins.





Finnished all the roof rafters yesterday.
There was math involved.
Boooo, Hissss.




For the people who know a little something about Building things.
You may ask. Why did you use 2x4s & not 2x6s for the roof rafters.
Cost!. I build with the sum of the parts combining for the Strength.
The roof sheeting will be 3/4 OSB.
Also I have an old Horse Siesta Shack, Over 50 years Old.
2x4s for roof rafters. Still standing strong.

Cool thing. 1st pic shows the 2x12x16 foot Header Board. Menards diddn't have what I wanted when Josh went to get me a dozen missing pieces. So they gave him a deal on that piece. Happy Days, what a gorgeous Header Board. Laurie I got one just like it for Red & Marnie.
We are now doing Final Prep for 3/4 OSB sheeting.





Gonna put cheater board up to place all sheets of OSB.
Think I will even put a short 2x4 spinner board on cheater board to hold it in place. Goin Full Rube Goldberge on it.
Plus use the tractor to set in place. At most I will need to flip them up. Roof will be just sliding them. At my age I use every possible way to do it like a Lazy man.
I carry nothing I can push in a cart or on the tractor.




There are days that I feel like the cartoon character Bullwinkle.
That's another story though.
Siesta Shack update.
Moriah Newman (my Daughter) was here.
Hey Baby I need a spotter. Gotta do proof of concept & it's a bit Sketchy. You can't help or the concept is a fail.
So I began moving 3/4 inch thick 4x8ft sheets of OSB onto the sides & roof of the Horse Shack. Got 6 sheets on.
I'm a big fan of using my tractor to get things real close then flip them or slide them on.
For the most part everything worked, even at 9ft in the air.
I don't work with helpers because at my age everybody is younger & then I work to fast, Young peoples slow is my fast.
Last 7 sheets of OSB go on today. Because I have to mow the lawn tomorrow.





Reality check.
Even though I bought the materials for these 2 Siesta Shacks over the last 5yrs. Each shack will probably have cost $1,500.00 each.
Lumber, Poles, Screws, Shingles & stain.
Here's the Bomb though. If I had had them Built It would in all likelyhood have cost 3 to 4 Thousand dollars each.
The big expense would have been the Exterior & interior Kick walls that I used salvage lumber for.
Most horse shacks are built using tin siding & the gap on inner stalls between boards is a lot more tha 1.5 inches.
One horse puts there leg through that tin exterior & your vet bill will be a couple thousand. I've seen it.
2. interior kick wall at more than 1.5 inch gap. Horses do crazy stuff.
Which can & does result in them getting there legs tangled in bigger gaps. Again Big Vet Bill.
So I build with interior & exterior kick walls now.
If I use tin on an exterior wall. I put a 3/4 inch sheet of backer board behind it.
I cheap out everywhere I can, but not on 4ft high Kick walls.

Here's the Kick in the pants.
Back in 1983 we had our Friend Larry Blizzard build our little 30x40 foot pole barn & it cost at the most $3,500.00
And as I said if I'd had that little 10x16 foot Horse shack built by someone else a good day would probably have been the same amount of money.

Forgot to tell you.
Got the 3 sheets up on the roof & tacked down.
Asked mom. I really would like to get the other 3 on.
It was after 6pm.
Mom said No you are done for today.
Yes Mam.




All the wood is on. Trim work. Roof. Paint.





Today after more than 2 months I do not have to get out & work on the 2 Horse Shelters.
Following picture is of the second identical build.
Only picture that I had of one of the completed shelters.






I have to admit, I'm at a loss for what to do.
Thinking seriously about working on Gabriel & Hawks fencing Project.
All I need to do it is a fancy Storebought Fence Post Whanger.
Old Men need to stay busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment